Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day2 fieldtrip

Today, I went on a company visit to Seachange and IBM.

What I learned?

IBM

I learned that IBM now is selling 5 different types of software 2 of which is being developed internally and the rest are being outsourced. These softwares are:
  • • DB2 and Information Management: Information on demand
    • Lotus: Communication, collaboration, and productivity
    • Tivoli: IT service management
    • Rational: Business-driven development
    • WebSphere: Business process management

Also IBM have two servers running open for any advocates to use.

Seachange

I learned about their product software Video on demand or VOD. It is made up of two components which are the Axiom on demand and the Media cluster.
Axiom on demand is a content delivery platform that is used for faster video buffering.
Media cluster is their media server.

What I liked?

IBM

They gave me a genuine IBM bag.
They offer free server services without any charges.
They treated us very nicely.
They gave us a lot of information and was warm in welcoming us.

Seachange

They have a very nice crew that entertained us as we toured their facility. They were funny. They were less formal than the other companies we have visited. One of their workers was actually just wearing shorts while working. It was nice to see that there are actually companies that don’t give much care of what their employees are wearing.
They showed and presented a lot of their projects. They didn’t limit us to just one project but rather showed us almost everything from those being developed until those that are already released.

What I didn’t like?

I was actually contented with everything that there is nothing that I don’t like with both companies.

No comments:

Post a Comment