Wednesday, October 13, 2010

TECHNOPRENUER: Assignment 2 (Due: August 9, before 01:00pm)

I recently took my personality traits test from http://www.outofservice.com/bigfive/. And this is the result.

Your Results
Closed-Minded |--0-------------------| Open to New Experiences
Disorganized |-0--------------------| Conscientious
Introverted |----0-----------------| Extraverted
Disagreeable |-----------------0----| Agreeable
Calm / Relaxed |---------------0------| Nervous / High-Strung
What aspects of personality does this tell me about?
There has been much research on how people describe others, and five major dimensions of human personality have been found. They are often referred to as the OCEAN model of personality, because of the acronym from the names of the five dimensions.

Openness to Experience/Intellect
High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative.
You are somewhat conventional. (Your percentile: 20)

Conscientiousness
High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent.
You probably have a messy desk! (Your percentile: 5)

Extraversion
High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet.
You tend to shy away from social situations. (Your percentile: 22)

Agreeableness
High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, and callous.
You tend to consider the feelings of others. (Your percentile: 74)

Neuroticism
High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy.
You tend to become anxious or nervous. (Your percentile: 60)

Before reflecting on this result first I would like to explain what personality traits test is. Personality traits test is a test that would determine how you would react on a certain situation. It is different from the common IQ, EQ, and AQ test that have been introduced to us last technopreneur session. This test aims to inform the test taker who he is as an individual and how he acts in front of his friends or complete stranger. This test that I took specifically has 5 different categories of result with the acronym OCEAN. O for Openness to Experience/Intellect, C for Conscientiousness, E for Extraversion, A for agreeableness, and N for Neuroticism. These result tend to explain your characteristic or traits in different category or independently.

My Openness to experience/ Intellect result is “You are somewhat conventional” with 20% average. The test result means that I am conventional type of a person, have a narrow interest and am uncreative, which is something I strongly disagree. Yes I am a conventional type of a person but I am not uncreative and I don’t have a narrow interest. I may not have that much originality in me but I am creative in a way that when a topic or idea is laid, I think of my opinion regarding the topic and compare it with others. And after comparing I will accept the idea that is more correct, meaning I will copy someone else’s idea if it means my original idea is wrong but would reject other ideas if mine is more correct according my own perspectives. I don’t have a narrow interest actually my interest is as wide as it can possibly be, also I’m open-minded to new interests that I allow others to open up on me and I listen carefully.

My Conscientiousness test result is “You probably have a messy desk” with 5% average. This is also something I strongly disagree in. I am not unreliable and I am not negligent. I may not like having a lot of responsibilities but I can be reliable that when a task is given to me I try my best to finish it before the deadline. Especially when the task is given as an individual task where I don’t have to wait for group mates to meet and decide what to do next. I am not negligent. I always think of my responsibilities and plan on how to finish them all even if I know I can’t follow my plans. And I would never do something that would lead to the degradation of my reputation and later on would describe as someone negligent. I am not a very organized person but I try my best to arrange my ideas. And I have self-discipline it’s just that I have difficulties on obeying them. Meaning I know what to do but can’t find the motivation to do it.
My Extraversion test result is “You tend to shy away from social situations” with 22% average. In this test result I agree but still have slight disagreement. Yes I am shy and don’t like social events but I am friendly and talkative at times. And I don’t like a social event that has strangers as guests, but if the guests are people I know personally then it’s an event I would really hate to miss. I am only shy and silent to people whom I don’t know, but when I feel comfortable with the people around me I am talkative, active and is very participative.
My Agreeableness test result is “You tend to consider the feelings of others” with 74% average. Now this is an accurate result. Yes I know how to consider the feelings of others. I know how to listen to them when they are talking. I know what to say to not offend their feelings. And I try my best to comfort everyone who needs comfort. I personally consider myself a very good friend, because I put my friends feeling as my first priority before mine. I try not to do things that would hurt them emotionally. Before I say or even lay my opinion on their experiences or dilemmas I always think of what would their reaction be if I say it or declare it. And also I will not hesitate to tell my friends the truth even if it would hurt them if it really is necessary to do so.
My Neuroticism test result is “You tend to become anxious or nervous” with 60% average. Well this is another almost accurate result. I am always comparing myself to someone superior to me thus always result to me being someone less than him. And that also result to me being insecure that whatever I am today is not enough and there is nothing I can do to change that. Every time an important task is given to me I always try to reject it at least once for it to be assigned to someone else other than me, but if I have no choice but to accept it I get nervous and immediately think of the worst “what ifs”. But the does not hinder me from doing and finishing the task assigned. And I always worry about the things I don’t know. I think the best example is when exam period ends and the result submission is near I always worry I might have failed my exams or something like that.

Those are the result of my personality traits test. According to the test I failed three out of the five categories of result, but I strongly disagree with it. I believe that the results are accurate because I answered truthfully, but the interpretations of the results are inaccurate. I think breaking the category of results into tinier parts would increase its accuracy. Because its categories are too broad and can still be narrowed. But this was a very interesting test that generated a good not the best but good result.

So again, according to the test I am person who is not creative, narrow minded, insecure, and considers the feeling of others, shy, unreliable and unorganized. In my own interpretation of the result it is simply saying that I don’t have the requirements to be successful but can work well with a group. Also it is saying that I can still change myself or improve what I have and develop what I don’t have in order to be successful in what I want with my life.

Relating it to my subject Techoprenuership the test result contradicts with the result of the test that we took back in our last session in the said subject that resulted that I would be a successful technoprenuer someday. This test says that I don’t have the mind of a technoprenuer, because I don’t have original ideas, I am always insecure, I am afraid of taking risks because I am nervous, I am un reliable, I am unorganized, and most importantly because I am shy. To be a successful technoprenuer one must be innovative and brave to take risks must be organized and dependable or reliable which according to the test I am not. But this does not mean I can’t be a successful technoprenuer someday. As our facilitator said in our class: “failing the test doesn’t mean you don’t have what it takes. It means you still have the time to improve and develop”. And I will try my best to improve the skills and characteristics that I have and would develop those that I don’t have yet. Anyway I am still young at my age I still got plenty of time to prepare for whatever it is that would come to my life.

As long as I still have the dream to be successful and I believe that I can be successful and it would come true then I still have hope. All I need to do is try my best today and prepare myself for tomorrow. And the rest will just follow. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment