Thursday, October 14, 2010

TECHNOPRENUER: Assignment 4 (Due: August 20, before 01:00pm)

What are the lessons that you learned after reading the commencement address of Steve Jobs? (at least 1000words)

People often say that “the best teacher is experience” and “learn from your mistakes”. Well what better way to learn through experience than to listen to expert’s experiences and mistakes committed. Steve Jobs had a very inspiring commencement. I have learned a lot from it. He had three stories that had different lessons in life. These are the different lessons I learned from the three different stories.

The first story was entitled “connecting the dots”. He said that back then he never thought that he was actually making the right decisions in his life. He said that you can’t connect the dots forward only backward. And he was right. He cited that back then he was also afraid of “what might happen in the future”, “What would be the effect of his actions in the future”. But he did what he did and it all ended well. I learned that he was right you don’t know what will happen in the future, you might as well experiment with it. Find what you love, chase it, do it, and don’t regret it. Anyway, whatever comes your way, you can always go on with your life. And who knows you might succeed in life like Steve did. He also said “You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever.” This was something everyone should try. Even if these things are somewhat uncertain, it is something you can always trust to believe in. Who knows you end up a very successful man like Steve.

The second story is “love and Loss”. Steve knew what he wanted with his life in an early stage (Lucky him). He knew that developing a machine called a computer was the thing he wanted to do for the rest of his life, it was what he loved. And he chased it. Well unlucky me. Up until now I still don’t know what I want to do with my life. I went to college and took IT because I loved working with computers. And I still love it without any regrets. I think I made the right decision. But what to do after it is something I can’t imagine. I still don’t know what career to chase after college. But Steve did. And wasn’t afraid to do it, and dropped out of college (He and his friend Woz). That is why I’m planning t just finish college first then live my life as I should be doing and try to realize what I would really love to do (hopefully I would realize it sometime sooner). That was about love, now for loss. Steve got fired from a company that he started himself. It was not good. But he then realized that rejection is not something that can change your emotion; it was not enough for you to change what you love. So he started another company, met his wife and again succeeded by doing what he loved and risking everything on to something they call faith and destiny. And like what Steve did I will not stop from searching what I love, and when I find it I’ll keep it and I will not stop doing it until I succeed. I will not settle, I will not stop, I will not give up until I find it or until I’m dead.

The last story is “Death” (It sounds scary already). “If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.” This was a saying that Steve used as an inspiration to keep on doing what he is doing. He said that life is too short to be wasted on things you don’t really like. Don’t be affected with the opinion of the majority, just do what you love and be happy while doing it. Also Steve said “No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there.” Which are quite correct, people often hesitate to do something because it differs from everyone else, and tend to just go with the majority. Sometime right is being covered with what is common. You should think and think it through. What do you want to do? After that, whatever the result is do it. As long as it is not illegal and it will not hurt someone else then go for it. Because nothing is more satisfying feeling than succeeding something you actually wanted, wished for, loved.

As his farewell statement Steve borrowed a statement from a publication from his college times. “Stay hungry. Stay foolish.” From what I understand “stay hungry” means to starve for more of what you are having. Search for more success, more ambition, more what you really love. “Stay foolish” fools are not afraid to fail, they go for things they love, and they risk everything without thinking of the future too much. That is what being a “fool” means. Well. Why not! I’ll try to do that. I’ll starve for what I love and be fooling when making decisions and see what happens.
Those were the lessons I’ve learned from Steve’s commencement.
“Don’t be afraid to commit mistakes, because mistakes can be corrected, but never do wrong, because wrong can never be right.”
-Ikoy
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment